Monday, October 3, 2022

Heineken? F$%k that sh!t! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!! - The Greatest Beer Run Ever Review

Anti-war film in the vein of Platoon? Military comedy a la Stripes? Heroic action film? Peter Farrelly’s latest effort is all of these, with some coming-of-age/journey-of-self discovery elements tossed in for good measure.

The problem, however, is that it is ALL of those things, resulting in the overall tone of the film being incredibly uneven. It can’t seem to make up it’s mind if it wants to be a ribald comedy, a somber socio-political commentary, or a gonzo war picture. In short it shifts tones so frequently that it leaves the viewer dizzy. I found myself laughing hysterically at a scene only to be slapped in the face by some ardent message while I was still mid guffaw. Or I found myself tearing up during an emotional moment only to have an ill-timed belly laugh thrown at me. The film is a veritable roller coaster, which becomes erratic and jolting.

Ups and downs aside, the story is anchored by a bravura turn from Zac Efron. Honestly, I’ve never paid much attention to this dude as I always (unfairly) remember him for his early Disney dancing and singing days. While I never watched any of the High School Musical films, that image of Efron is indelibly etched in my mind. Heck, I can only recall two other films that I’ve seen him in: Me and Orson Welles and The Beach Bum. I don’t remember much about him in the former, but he all but saved the latter with a hilariously over-the-top turn as a drug addict. Here he maneuvers the rocky tonal shifts with aplomb, delivering some nice comedic moments, some solid dramatic flair, and based on how he dodges gunfire and grenades, he might actually make a good action hero someday. The supporting cast, consisting largely of unknowns (to me, at least) is strong and the two high profile cameos—Murray and Crowe—are put to good use. 

The Greatest Beer Run Ever is a conflicting film, one that never really finds its voice or footing. In many ways it is a mirror reflection of the war that it depicts: chaotic and confusing, but also exciting (at times) and emotionally charged.

Bottomline: No need to head out to the cineplex to see it. If you have AppleTV, just stream it instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment